TAACOS Development Schedule
Schedule Updated - 10/3/2000
Notes on TAACOS Development:
- 01/26/2000 - Requirements Document released for signatures.
- 02/07/2000 - With the IRT issues resolved, progress on TAACOS is proceeding more rapidly than originally anticipated.
- 02/07/2000 - FYI: Development Schedule has been reorganized to produce FUV Detector TA results ASAP.
- 02/07/2000 - FYI: Development of many of the TAACOS components are proceeding "in parallel".
- 02/28/2000 - FYI: Early results of Target Search Testing are opening up new areas of investigation for all aspects of Target Acquisition.
- 03/16/2000 - FYI: Build I "early results" for FUV Channel are extremely promising - with all indications that TA will meet and exceed
requirement of 0.3" (3 sigma) in Dispersion Axis, for isolated point sources with initial target uncertain of 1" (1 sigma) or less.
- 03/16/2000 - FYI: Build I "early results" suggest modest enhancement to existing TA FSW Design. (Enhancement involves moving FUV subarrays
to maintain constant wavelength coverage.) BATC given advanced warning of this possible enhancement at the COS TA FSW Detailed
Design Review on 2/17/2000.
- 03/28/2000 - FYI: Build I comparisons between "stock" (OP-01) algorithm and "preferred" (TAACOS) algorithm for FUV channel require
exploring various optimization parameters for "stock" algorithm, resulting in additional 1 week of testing.
- 04/12/2000 - FYI: Refinement of "Dispersion Axis Peak-Up" testing requires 2 additional days test/debug.
- 05/15/2000 - FYI: Several new comparison tests required to answer questions of effectiveness and
reliability of TA algorithms. Bad News: TAACOS Report slips three weeks. Good News: Requested changes to TA FSW
likely to be less severe than originally anticipated.
- 05/19/2000 - Revised schedule for Build I NUV. Revised estimates for time required for Build II.
Uncertain at this time whether or not we will require a Build II, or if we will have the time or resources to
pursue a Build II - even if our Build I results suggest a need for the added complexity of Build II
- 05/25/2000 - Draft of TAACOS FUV Build I Report released for initial review.
- 06/27/2000 - TAACOS FUV Build I Report released for signatures.
- 06/27/2000 - NUV Build I in progress. Additional FUV Build I Tests being performed, to satisfy requests from document reviewers.
- 07/12/2000 - Final FUV Build I "Thresholding" Tests being performed and documented. Deterium Lamp Spectra verification.
- 07/18/2000 - FUV "Thresholding" Test results being written up as a TER. Deterium Lamp Spectra verification ongoing.
- 08/07/2000 - FUV "Thresholding" Tests Completed. TER published. Deterium Lamp Spectra verified for both FUV and NUV channels.
- 08/14/2000 - NUV TA simulations proceeding. TA1 "images" produced, and method for centering "image" in aperature verified.
- 09/06/2000 - Final NUV TA "run-off" simulations in progress. NUV Phase I Report to be completed and issued as draft release on 9/15/2000.
- 09/15/2000 - Last minute changes and "offline" feedback are delaying release of document. Should be released shortly.
- 10/03/2000 - Draft versions of TAACOS NUV Phase I Report - and Recommended FSW & OPS Changes released.
Current TAACOS Development Schedule (Build I):
- IRT in IDL for FUV - 1 Grating/1 Setup
- Isolate and fix remaining IRT in IDL bugs - Done
- IRT Interface
- Interface code to input "photons" into IRT and create simplified Detector Images. - Done
- Photon Source Generator
- Use existing FOS composite spectrum to create z=0.1, F = 1e-15 source - Done
- Create artificial "Power-Law" spectrum to help understand Detector "edge effects" - Done
- Create Emission Line Spectrum for both "Aperature Location" Phase, and for 'constant wavelength band' investigations of "Dispersion Axis Peakup. - Done
- Put Pt-Ne spectrum into Emission Line Spectrum Generator. - Done
- Efficiency Simulator
- Use wavelength-dependent, position-independent efficiency tables - Done
- FUV Detector Imaging
- Pixelization of Photons on FUV Detector segment(s) - Done
- Simple "Noise" model for FUV Detector - Done
- Subarray photon events for the active area of the FUV Detector segment(s) - Done
- Compute mapping of Detector Image Coordinates back to Sky Coordinates - Done
- Target Acquisition Logic
- Aperture Location - PSA - Done
- Target Search Routine - Done
- Target Search Testing - 3x3, 5x5 Dwells w/ random input points - Return to Brightest, Flux Weighted Centroid - Done
- Target Search Testing - 3x3, 5x5 Dwells w/ fixed, distributed input points - Threshold & Flux Weighted Centroid - Done
- Target Search Testing - 4x4 Dwell - followed by 2x2 Dwell - Threshold & Flux Weighted Centroid - Done
- X-Dispersion Axis Peakup - Done
- Dispersion Axis Peakup - with and without 'constant wavelength band' subarrays - Done
- Target Acquisition Evaluation Tools
- Tools to evaluate Target Acq. Efficiency. - Done
- HST Slewer
- Develop HST Slew Code for FUV Detector - Done
- Generate "plate scale" slew values for different gratings - Done
- Build I Target Acquisition Simulation Code for FUV Detector completed on 3/22/2000. - Done
- Build I TA Simulation Runs for FUV Detector - Done
- Optimization of "stock" algorithm parameters - Done
- Refine "Dispersion Axis Peakup" Testing - Done
- Prepare Build I FUV Detector TAACOS Report - Done
- Build I "Run-off" between seven TA scenarios - Done
- Build I TA "Initial Error" vs. TA Requirement - Radial Scan - Done
- Draft of TAACOS Build I FUV Report Issued on 5/25/2000. - Done
- TAACOS Build I FUV Report issued for signatures on 6/27/2000. - Done
- TAACOS Build I FUV Report signed-off and released 7/6/2000. - Done
- Additional FUV Tests comparing various thresholding schemes for TS/PKD Phase - Done
- Write FUV "Thresholding" Test Report - Done
- Verify Deterium Lamp Spectra for FUV and NUV Channels - Done
- IRT in IDL for NUV - All NUV Grating
- Integrate/Test setup files for NUV channel - Done
- NUV Detector Imaging
- Pixelization of Photons on NUV Detector - Done
- Simple "Noise" model for NUV Detector - Done
- Geocoronal Simulation - Done
- Subarray photon events for the active area of the NUV Detector - Done
- HST Slewer Logic
- Develop HST Slew Logic for NUV Detector - Done
- Test/Verification of Slew Logic - Done
- Define NUV Plate Scales - Done
- TA1 Imaging
- Develop routines to process NUV "image" data, instead of spectral data - Done
- Target Acquisition Testing for NUV Detector
- TA Algorithm Verification - Done
- TA "Run-Offs" between TA scenarios - Done
- Run additional simulations, and refine testing simulations, based on existing TA scenarios - Done
- Prepare Build I NUV Detector TAACOS Report
- Prepare draft of document text - Done
- Prepare graphs and tables of results - Done
- Run final TA Simulations, add new TA Simulations, as needed - Done
- Incorporate modifications from simulations - Done
- TAACOS Build I NUV Report Issued on 10/3/2000. - Done
- Final Report outlining recommend TA FSW and Operations Changes Issued on 10/3/2000. - Done
TAACOS Enhancement (Build II):
TAACOS Build II will be developed, on an "as-needed" basis, to support multiple
optics positions for all gratings on FUV and NUV channels, to support the Bright Object
Aperature (BOA), and to support a variety of detector imaging "artifacts".
In addition, TAACOS Build II will be used to perform TA simulations on a variety of
diffenent sources - including faint and bright sources, extended objects, and multiple sources
in the FOV. Total Time Estimate for Build II Development and Test - approximately 3 months.
- IRT in IDL for NUV/FUV - All Gratings/Multiple Setups (2 days)
- Photon Source Generator (11 days)
- Create Flux source tables for a variety of Stars (5 days) - Need help locating stellar flux sources.
- Create Flux source tables for extended objects (5 days) - Need help locating extended flux sources.
- Create Flux source tables for QSO's at various Z values & Fluxes (1 day)
- Detector Imaging (10 days)
- Simulate additional FUV Detector imaging artifacts (5 days) - Need FUV Detector Info from Erik.
- Simulate additional NUV Detector imaging artifacts (5 days) - Need NUV Detector Info from BATC.
- Target Acquisition Logic (5 days)
- Incorporate BOA (2 days)
- Incorporate "Lifetime Adjustment" Motions (3 days)
- Build II Target Acquisition Simulation Testing (30 days)
- FUV Channel Testing (10 days)
- TA Algorithm Verification (5 days)
- TA "Run-Offs" between TA scenarios (5 days)
- Build II FUV Channel Report (5 days)
- NUV Channel Testing (10 days)
- TA Algorithm Verification (5 days)
- TA "Run-Offs" between TA scenarios (5 days)
- Build II NUV Channel Report (5 days)
- TAACOS Build II Report Issued.